Image courtesy of Flickr_Pink Sherbert Photography

Green Cards: Do I need one?

Uncertainty remains on whether the UK leaves the European Union (EU) without a Withdrawal Agreement (a ‘no-deal Brexit’). If this happens, UK motor insurance policyholders driving in the European Economic Area, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland will need physical proof of motor insurance when they travel. This is commonly referred to as a Green Card.

If you are travelling to the EU and will return prior to 29th March 2019, you do not need a Green Card and do not need to contact us for a Green Card.

If you are planning to be driving your vehicle in the EU on or after 29th March 2019, please contact us four weeks before you plan to travel so we can understand your needs and issue you with a Green Card if you require one.

In the event there is no deal, a Green Card will be required for all vehicles which travel in the EU after 29th March to prove that you have the required insurance, regardless of the level of motor cover provided on your policy. This is true even if you have a foreign use extension on your motor policy.

Please note that you will need a Green Card when driving from Northern Ireland to Ireland.

Whatever the Brexit outcome, we’ll continue to update you with further information and actions you may need to take that are relevant to policies as soon as we can.

If you have any questions regarding your insurance please contact us on 020 8681 4994

Tags: , ,


Personal Finance Portal standard life